Healther, Safer Tourism in Belize
The Ministries of Health and Tourism in Belize and the Belize Tourism Board are partnering with the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) and the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) to implement a joint Tourism and Health Program (THP) to improve the health, safety, and quality of our tourism product, and the health and well-being of our visitors and locals. This novel, innovative program is addressing the health safety and environmental threats that impact on Caribbean to tourism through real time early alert and response system to tourism health and safety threats., food and environment safety training, hospitality standards and globally recognized certification and branding. Participating facilities will be branded and accredited by CARPHA, CTO,CHTA as a preferred Healthier safer destination, allowing for a marketing and branding competitive advantage.
- Reduce illness in tourism and thereby promote increase visitor arrivals
- To build a healthier, safer, better quality and more environmental friendly tourism industry – lead to more sustainable tourism.
- To implement food & environmental safety, training. certification
- To provide timely alert of health, environmental and social events, to support health monitoring efforts and stimulate a rapid and coordinated response
- To promote a healthy workforce & reduce avoidable health costs
- To increase awareness and promote mutual understanding and collaboration between tourism and health stakeholders to address tourism & health as a joint priority
- To develop partnerships for sustainability of tourism
The THP will address the HSE threats impacting sustainable tourism in the Caribbean through an integrated approach of combining surveillance, training, and standards.