About the Project
You can’t fail to be excited by the amazing historical attractions found in Downtown, Belize City. With so much to see and learn; it’s hard to narrow down the long list of symbolic events, sights and attractions that have come to life since the origination of Belize City in the early 1600’s. In an effort to invest in the improvement of the core competencies of Downtown, Belize City (its activity, historic value, cultural heritage and community), and to encourage socio-economic integration, the Government of Belize and the Taiwan International Development Fund (ICDF) have launched “ The Belize City House of Culture and Downtown Rejuvenation Project (BCHCDRP)”. The project utilizes an Eco-Museum Development Concept and is valued at BZD $15.1million. The project is currently being executed by the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation in conjunction with the National Institute of Culture and History and the Belize City Council.
- Refurbishment of the House of Culture –
- Museum depicting our Story of Resistance (Emancipation and Independence Movement).
- Construction of a multipurpose building (Welcome Center, Multimedia Conference Room, Gift Shop, Café, Office and restroom facilities.
- Addition of a Botanical Gardens, landscape works, boardwalk, parking lot, etc.
- Re-design and enhancement of the Commercial Building, near the Swing Bridge.
- Establishment of a Seaside Promenade.
- Development of Public Assets (Public Signage, Aesthetics, lighting, furniture, etc.)
- Community Engagement and Building through an Oral History Program and training opportunities.
Find Out More
As with all urban development projects, success lies in community participation. The Belize City House of Culture and Downtown Rejuvenation Project will continue to engage the public through consultation workshops.We urge everyone to participate by assisting the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation, the Ministry of Youths, Sports and Culture, the National Institute of Culture and History, and the Belize City Council to develop a new thriving downtown that will promote community involvement and local economic growth.