The following are core responsibilities of the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation with respect to development of the Tourism and Civil Aviation sectors:
- Governance - through coordination of departments and line agencies under the mandate of the Ministry, these include the Belize Tourism Board, the Border Management Agency, the Department of Civil Aviation, and the Belize Airports Authority.
- Sector Coordination and Integration – build awareness, mainstream activities and coordinate effort, through the alignment of policy, strategy, and plan and implementation mechanism across key sectors for the sustainable development of tourism and civil aviation in Belize.
- Policy Development- review, enhancement and effective implementation of national and sector-based policy to support the implementation of the NSTMP.
- Tourism Planning and Resource Mobilization- participatory and evidence based planning of tourism assets, and leveraging and mobilization of capital funds for implementation of NSTMP investment recommendations.
- Project Execution- lead or coordinate the implementation of capital projects that are aligned with the implementation of the NSTMP.
- Legal & Regulatory Framework- drafting, review and oversight of implementation of legislative framework for tourism and civil aviation.
- Facilitation of Trade and External Relations- building awareness and regional support for the travel and trade agenda in Belize.